Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Digital Sheet Music or Paper Sheet Music?


It's been almost 700 years since the invention of the printing press (1439) in Mainz, Germany, and we've come a long way in how we read and write books and documents of all different types. 

This post revolves around the possible transition to paperless, environment friendly music scores. Which one is better? A hard or a soft copy of my entire performance/music library?

For daily practice I use traditional sheet music. However, I've recently transitioned to a Microsoft Surface Pro 13" computer which comes along with me to all my musical events. This is where I now keep my solo guitar repertory (pdf files) which are organized in different folders: Standard Rep., Weddings, Funerals, etc. And thanks to my Microsoft Surface pen, I can write whatever might be necessary (fingerings, notes, chords, etc.) directly on the score.

In the past, having a gig was like preparing for a trip where you would have to first pack, then unpack once the performance was over. It was very time consuming to find specific scores for specific occasions and then have to return them back to the paper sheet music collection. 

 One of the main inconveniences of outdoor performance is adverse weather conditions. Even a small gust of wind can be a problem for those who use traditional music scores. With digital sheet music, you don't have this problem; providing you have a decent stand for the hardware. Moreover, there's no need to worry about poor lighting conditions after sunset. Most devices have excellent display technologies, and day and night use are equally good.

Going digital is perfect for the traveling musician. Once the music has been uploaded, I can avoid carrying around excess weight, there's no fear of forgetting a page or a part, and organizing/creating set lists for the day's performance is easier and much faster.

A possible drawback of using music in digital format is page turning. At the moment, I swipe the screen to turn the pages and this works well. However, there is hardware for turning pages hands-free usually in the form of a wireless digital page-turning pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment